Tuesday, February 14, 2012

VD Red - Color A Day #39

So it’s  Valentine’s Day.  Frankly, I’m not a fan of this particular holiday.  I don’t like what’s become of VD.   I’ve got two elementary school aged boys.  Both had parties in their classes today, complete with cupcakes/cookies and the obligatory card exchange.  Except that what used to be an exchange of little “Be Mine” type cards has morphed into a huge candy swap, and I’m not talking about a few red-hots added to an envelope here.  No.  Apparently, it’s not enough to give a little card anymore; it has become de rigueur to attach a big lollipop (or similar corn-syrup substrate) to each Valentine.  And the over-achievers are now giving out cellophane goody-bags filled with assorted sweets to each classmate.  Seriously?

It’s become a candy-riddled Halloween re-dux in Red instead of Orange.  Nope,  I am NOT a fan of the candy-ification of Valentine’s Day.  (On the other hand, if any of the children had given out really high-quality CHOCOLATE, I would applaud that move wholeheartedly.  I have no shame.)   But, really.  What happened to the (non-tooth-rotting) sweetness of a hand-made Valentine card?  Call me a humbug, but I refused to buy candy for my boys to give out this year.  My oldest hand-drew his card, added a funny little rhyme, and we made copies for him to give out to his pals.  Here it is:

Awesome, right?

OK, I’m done with my rant.  Let’s move to today’s color inspiration.  It’s a no brainer.  It has to be red, right?  (Well, I did seriously consider chocolate.)

Color A Day #39: VD Red

No comments:

Post a Comment