Sunday, January 22, 2012

Color A Day #20 - That Perfect Turquoise

There’s a particular shade of turquoise that I just love.   
It makes me smile inside when I spot it. 
Sometimes it shows up in water – like in a vase, or shimmering over sand in the Florida KeysI’ve seen it in a swimming pool when the sun is shining just right.   And of course in the semi-precious stone of the same name.  I think it’s the perfect mix of light blue with a bit of green.  

I find myself using this color often in my own paintings.  And, I’m not alone.  On a recent visit to the Norton Simon Museum I spotted this same color in Gauguin‘s painting Tahitian Woman and Boy.   “Ah!”,  I thought to myself as I admired Gauguin’s amazing color choices…”it’s that perfect turquoise!”

Detail of Gauguin's use of That Perfect Turquoise.


The Three Handed Virgin by Alisa Proctor...with that Perfect Turquoise in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment