Friday, March 9, 2012

Crab Cooker Red – Color A Day #52


The Crab Cooker, located in Newport Beach, CA

The Crab Cooker is a staple in my world.  I drive by the Newport Beach peninsula location no less than four times a day as I drop and pick up my kids from school.  This seafood restaurant has been in business since 1951.  We stop in weekly to buy some smoked salmon or albacore from the deli case.  Their smoked fish is absolutely delish.  But most of all, I love the sense of humor this place exhibits.  I laugh almost every time I see the sign posted up high above the roof demanding, “Don’t Look Up Here”, and smile at the changing chalkboard proclamations like “Eat Lots A Fish”.   My favorite signs found at the Crab Cookers are pictured below: “The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing”, and “Through these portals pass the most beautiful fish in the world.”  Just so.  Inside the place is chock full of bric-a-brac, like a huge stuffed shark and assorted old photos.  There is also a delightful CD of “fish songs” available for purchase at the counter.  But what may be the most notable thing about this place is the in-your-face, no-apologies RED that this building is painted.



The Crab Cooker in Newport Beach, California
Image via Wikipedia

Today’s color is….Crab Cooker Red.


No comments:

Post a Comment