Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Bougainvillea – Color A Day #54


I have always loved Bougainvillea.  Especially the bright “purple” variety.  Today I saw these blossoms beautifully highlighted in the sun, and had to capture them on “film”…OK, digitally on my iPhone.  I love the leafy, lacy blooms.

According to Wikipedia this beautiful, but thorny bush may have been “discovered by Jeanne Baré, Commerçon’s lover and assistant whom he snuck on board (despite regulations) disguised as a man (and who thus became the first woman to circumnavigate the globe).”   This interesting little tidbit comes via NPR’s All Things Considered,  from the book “A Female Explorer Discovered On The High Seas” by Glynis Ridley.   (http://www.npr.org/2010/12/26/132265308/a-female-explorer-discovered-on-the-high-seas
Our sailboat at anchor in Mexico, framed by Bougainvillea.

I have spent a good deal of time on the water, at least partially circling the globe on a sailboat.  On my travels in Central America I found my eye always drawn to the ubiquitous Bougainvillea.  I understand why Jeanne Bare may have done the same long ago.  Great story, lovely flower, beautiful color.

Color A Day #54 – Bougainvillea

No comments:

Post a Comment