Saturday, October 13, 2012

Mary Jane

About a year ago I started a project I called "Illustrating My Ancestors".  I had planned to begin making some paintings and illustrations of some of my grandparents.  Typical of my M.O., I did a bit of work on the project and then got distracted - "Squirrel!" - by a million other things.  Alas, during the last year I have done little to further my ancestry project.  But I'm happy to report that as of today, I've added another painting to this little project.

So, please let me introduce you to Mary Jane Story Proctor (1826-1917),  my 2nd Great Grandmother.  She was married to Daniel Proctor (his second wife), and was the mother to nine children, and 4 step-childern.  The only good source photo I have of Mary Jane is typical of photos taken back around the turn of the century, featuring a stern, serious, unsmiling countenance.  Although, I can imagine that mothering 13 kids might also contribute to such a look...!

I decided to portray her a little younger, a little bit softer than that photo.  I like how this one turned out.  Now I just wish I could travel back in time to meet her, and perhaps a few of her kids.

Mary Jane Story Proctor - by Alisa Proctor, 12x12, Acrylic



No comments:

Post a Comment